| Rose, Susan and Laura at the RP Social - Portland 2009 |
| Bear Hug! Camp 18 - Oregon |
How did i come to meeting the RP (Retinits Pigmentosa) Support Group? Facebook, thats right through Facebook. I know there are alot of bad publicity out there on Facebook, but let me tell you about the good stuff. I have to thank my daughter for signing me up for Facebook, if it weren't for her, I would never of met all the wonderful people that I have met. It was an RP support group that I came across that Jackie Meek from Wales had started. Of course I joined her site and instantly the support was available from all over the world. I was so happy to be able to chat with others that have Ushers. At this point, I have never met anyone with Ushers, never known of anyone with Ushers...till now. My first friend was Laura, a young nurse from Salt Lake City, she informed me of an RPList which is a group that based in the US. I joined and made more new friends. Support was now plentiful - and they have a Social every year. The RP Social was set for July 2009 in Portland. I thought to myself, I must go, I have never met anyone in person that has Ushers and here is my chance. Then I started to chat with Susan, from Portland she was the designated host for the Portland Social. My friends list expanded and the support grew. I then booked my flight to Portland. Never have I ever done such a thing. First, to travel on my own, and second, meet a group of people whom I never met and third, share a room with someone I've never met. Well it was the best thing that I ever did. I learned very quickly to use my cane to help me at the airport and had help from the moment I took out my cane in Victoria to Portland. It was great. When I got to the hotel, I was welcomed with open arms from my new friend Laura! I knew from that moment on, we are going to be good friends. We had so much fun, sharing our stories and experiences with Ushers/RP. Lots of laughter and some tears. It was an incredible journey for me. All those people that I met, for the first time in my life I didn't feel alone. It has been a lonely road since 1980 (diagnosed at 16). I have learned a lot from all those I've met and will continue to learn. I knew that I will go to the next social in 2010.
SOCIAL 2010 - SACRAMENTO, CA
This years RP Social was located in beautiful Sacramento, California. Last year I had such a good time in Portland and wanted to go again. After a year of planning and saving, it became a reality. Excitement was built up as we chatted on line and making plans. I was looking forward to seeing Laura and Susan again.
So, the journey begins..car ride to ferry, ferry to mainland to bus station, bus to Portland. It was a long day.
Susan's Husband Dan picked me up at the station and drove back to their home. Susan and Mirage welcomed me to their home. It was a nice relaxed visit and stayed up till 2am. We had a flight to catch that day. Susan, Mirage and myself flew to Sacramento and shuttled to our hotel. We dropped off our stuff in the room and went straight to the Hospitality room where we were all to meet and greet.
| Marisa, Mickie and Laura - RP Social 2010 |
Our days were filled with lots of trips - Winery, Railway Museum, Old Town Sacramento, River Cruise and fantastic dining! It was great to see everyone again and to meet new friends. Especially those who were from the RP chat room. During our social, we had an incredible group of volunteers from the Lions District 4-C5. They drove us to all the events and tours. I also learned that the Lions were the KNIGHTS FOR THE BLIND. I decided that I would like to become a Lion myself. The hosts Mary Dignan and Larry Marcum (also a Lion) did a fantastic job of pulling it all together. Especially enjoyed the BBQ dinner at Marys house. It was tough for me to say goodbye to my friends this year...looking forward to 2011 RP Social.
| Mirage taking a break |
Being able to connect with others with RP or Usher's is SO helpful. The Socials sound like so much fun! Where is it next year?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure where the next RP social will be, but i will keep you informed :)
ReplyDeleteGood job, Rose! We sure had fun this year. I can't wait until the next one...
ReplyDeleteYou've inspired me! We signed up for a 1/2 marathon in January!
ReplyDelete