Sunday, August 29, 2010

Guide Dog: to get one or not?

Lucy - October 2003 - June 2010

We had Lucy for 7 years and she was the best dog I ever had.  She was a rescue dog from the SPCA, abandoned and in poor health.  Just lost a dog months prior, we were ready for another dog.  There she was looking at us through the chain link fence, quiet and timid.  I fell in love with her immediately as so did the rest of the family.

She had brought lots of joy in my life and helped me fill my days while the family is at school and work.  We went everywhere together, walked, hiked, swam, and yes, shopped.
She was almost a guide dog:  had many talents, barked to alert me when someones at the door, help me find things on the floor if i dropped anything and often stopped dead in her tracks before harm comes our way while we were out walking.   Sadly, she died of Cancer this year and i miss her terribly.

Now I'm wondering, if I'm ready to get a guide dog.  I want to have a guide dog for the right reasons, not just as my pet.  But how do I know when I'm ready to get a guide dog?
I'm a very independent person and want to do everything on my own, but except help when needed.  It took me many years to learn to accept help from others.  I don't accept help all the time - people don't realize how hard it is to ask for help.  So maybe a guide dog could help me with that....
What do you think? 
Those who have guide dogs... give me some guidance, i would value your opinion

Still learning to use the cane.  Its awkward and don't like to use it much - will be taking some O & M classes soon to help me with that.

1 comment:

  1. First of all sending my love and condolences as your grieve the death of your beautiful Lucy. Sounds like such a special part of your family.

    I can only share my own personal experience re: a guide dog. Amazing. Beautiful. Independence at a newer level. I understand not for everyone but has enhanced my life on a deep level. Like you, I only used the cane for a short period of time, about a year if my memory is accurate, before applying for a guide dog.

    ReplyDelete